By Samantha White
The Olympics are in full swing and we can’t get enough! It is a major topic of conversation here in our office and we’ve all been keeping an eye on our favorite athletes and events.
The 2012 games mark a big year for female athletes, so enjoy these facts about the ladies currently competing in London.
- For the first time in Team USA history, the female athletes outnumber the males. The team is made up of 268 women and 261 men.
- Women’s boxing is an official Olympic sport for the first time this year, with 3 Americans competing.
- The oldest American athlete and the youngest competing this year are both females. Karen O’Connor, 54, is an equestrian while Katie Ledecky, 15, is a swimmer.
- While 54 American athletes are fathers, a mere 13 are mothers.
- There have now been 45 flag bearers for the US during Opening Ceremonies. The honor went to fencer Mariel Zagunis this year, who became the 11th female to carry the flag.
The 2012 Olympic Games go through August 12th, so you’ve still got plenty of time to catch some events and cheer for Team USA!